Buzz is already growing for director Harald Zwart’s (The Karate Kid) adaptation of Cassandra Clare’s best-selling novel, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. The film is not due to arrive in cinemas until 23rd August 2013, but the film (currently in pre-production) is already hinting at becoming something quite massive.
The story focuses on a young girl who discovers she is a descendent of a sect of half-Angel warriors who protect the world from Demons. A full cast list and a new promotional banner have been released today. The banner is above, and the cast list is next:
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Valentine Morgernstern.
- Lily Collins as Clary Fray.
- Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace Wayland.
- Robert Sheehan as Simon Lewis.
- Lena Headey as Jocelyn Fray.
- Jared Harris as Hodge Starkweather.
- Kevin Zegers as Alec Lightwood.
- Jemima West as Isabelle Lightwood.
- Godfrey Gao as Magnus Bane.
- Kevin Durand as Emil Pangborn.
- Robert Maillet as Samuel Blackwell.
- Aidan Turner as Luke Garroway.
- CCH Pounder as Madame Dorothea.
Synopsis for the books:
The Mortal Instruments” is a series of six young adult fantasy books written by Cassandra Clare and published by Simon & Schuster/Margaret K. McElderry Books. In the series’ first book, the #1 New York Times bestseller, “The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones,” set in contemporary New York City, a seemingly ordinary teenager, Clary Fray, discovers she is the descendant of a line of Shadowhunters, a secret cadre of young half-angel warriors locked in an ancient battle to protect our world from demons. After the disappearance of her mother, Clary must join forces with a group of Shadowhunters, who introduce her to a dangerous alternate New York called Downworld, filled with demons, warlocks, vampires, werewolves and other deadly creatures.
By Matt Wavish