Last month Hellboy actor Ron Perlman sent out a Tweet hinting that Hellboy 3 was on the way, and naturally this got fans very very excited.
During a Comic-Con panel for Amazon TV series Hand of God, Perlman addressed said Tweet, apologizing for getting fans overexcited. Per Deadline:
After sending out the June 3 tweet, Perlman said he had to “call studio executives to apologize.” Perlman said there’s been some talk with the franchise’s director Guillermo del Toro, but nothing concrete.
However, Perlman left fans on a high by saying “If there’s a real honesty to fan-culture relationships, we owe the world the finale of Hellboy,” he said. “We set up the whole film. It’s a deal we made (with fans). I don’t want to do Hellboy IV or V. I want to finish the f*cking trilogy!”
The issue for Hellboy 3 is funding, and director Guillermo del Toro has all but given up trying.
However, Del Toro revealed last year what he had planned for the sequel:
“Well, you know, we don’t have that movie on the horizon, but the idea for it was to have Hellboy finally come to terms with the fact that his destiny, his inevitable destiny, is to become the beast of the Apocalypse, and having him and Liz face the sort of, that part of his nature, and he has to do it, in order to be able to ironically vanquish the foe that he has to face in the 3rd film,” he said. “He has to become the best of the Apocalypse to be able to defend humanity, but at the same time he becomes a much darker being. It’s a very interesting ending to the series, but I don’t think it will happen.”