In the late 1970s, a young filmmaker named John Carpenter was approached by a pair of enterprising movie producers out to make a low-budget fright flick. With only a couple of modest critical hits under his belt, Carpenter took the gig – about a maniac with a taste for babysitters – and went about transforming what could have been a throwaway drive-in B-movie into one of horror cinema’s most iconic masterpieces, and one of the highest-grossing indie films of all time. Not only an amusing anecdote, this triumphant tale just goes to prove that you should never underestimate the power of John Carpenter, a master visual craftsman (and dab hand on the synthesizer), who’s been turning oft-dismissed genre fare into bona fide cinematic gold for over 40 years.
To celebrate the genre auteur, BFI Southbank are holding a special ‘The Cult of John Carpenter’ season running from 17th October 2016 to 28th November 2016, screening titles such as Dark Star, Halloween, They Live, Escape from New York, The Thing and In The Mouth of Madness, just to name a few. To enjoy 2 tickets for the price of 1 quote CARPENTER241 when booking.
We’re pleased to offer a pair of tickets as well as Titan Books’ On Set with John Carpenter book to three lucky readers to celebrate the BFI season.
For your chance to win tickets to a John Carpenter screening of your choice plus the On Set with John Carpenter photography book, simply answer the following question correctly.
What is the name of the masked villain in John Carpenter’s Halloween?
To enter, just send your answer along with your name and address to email@example.com with the subject ‘BFI John Carpenter comp‘.
The competition will close at 11.59pm GMT on Tuesday 18th October 2016 and three correct entries will be chosen at random.
• This promotion is open to UK residents only.
• Entrants must be aged 18 years or older
• One entry per household
• There is no cash alternative to Prizes which are subject to availability, non-transferable, non-negotiable and non-refundable. Prizes may not be sold, offered for sale or used in connection with any other competition or promotion by the Prize winner
• Three winners will each win 1x pair of tickets to screening of their choice at BFI Southbank’s Cult of John Carpenter season and 1x On Set With John Carpenter book
• Prize does not include transport or accomodation
• Tickets are subject to availability
• Venue address is BFI Southbank, Belvedere Road, Southbank, London, SE1 8XT
• The Editor’s decision is final and binding on the entrants. No correspondence will be entered into.