Arrow Video have announced the release of a limited edition Blu-Ray and Steelbook of John Carpenter’s sci-fi classic THE THING on 23rd October 2017.
Over the years, star Kurt Russell and master of horror John Carpenter have teamed up on a multitude of films (Big Trouble in Little China and Escape from New York to name a few) – but of all their collaborations, 1982’s horror/sci-fi amalgam The Thing surely tops the list.
A research team based out in the snowy wilds of Antarctica find themselves besieged by a terrifying, shape-shifting creature which has found its way into their base. When it becomes clear that the creature can take the form of any organism it so chooses, the tension within the team reaches breaking point – any one of them could be… The Thing.
Critically panned at the time of its release, John Carpenter’s The Thing has rightly gone on to become one of the most celebrated sci-fi horror efforts ever made – now newly restored by Arrow Video in a stunning 4K transfer supervised by Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey.
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original Mono and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
- Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing – an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter’s terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
- 1982: One Amazing Summer – an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
- John Carpenter’s The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – archive documentary on the background and production of the film
- Vintage Featurettes
- Trailers, Teasers, TV and Radio Spots
- Still Galleries
- Lobby Cards
- Book containing new writing on the film