Found Footage.....Old Hat Yet?

Moderator: Hughesy

Hughesy

Found Footage.....Old Hat Yet?

Post by Hughesy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:57 pm

Why do I sigh when I see news of a new film to made that is going to be a found footage.....

I mean the genre is done to death and there is nothing left out there to do, even if they did a Cloverfield 2 now it will seem old because there have been so many since the original was released......

Apollo 18 is a prime example of the franchise. It just had one idea, terror in space-found footage style- but then offered nothing to excite or entice.

Now there is rumours that the next Friday 13th film is going down the same route.....oh come on for feck sake....I can see the tag now..."Jason Meets Blair Witch!"....sorry it won't work. Just stick to the fun factor of the camp crystal lake franchise please, like Jason X did!

A
The Sub-Editor of this wonderful website! Loves films, hates Halloween II (the Zombie Version) loves Halloween (The Carpenter Original)!
juanvasquez
HCF Staff

Re: Found Footage.....Old Hat Yet?

Post by juanvasquez » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:17 am

I'm so fed up with found footage movies yet I've only seen a handful. I don't think its necessary. I think Cloverfield (which I thought was just OK) would have been just as good were it not breaking the fourth wall etc. I think its just a way of making movies on the cheap.
Matt Wavish
HCF Staff

Post by Matt Wavish » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:33 am

As you all know, I love them and find they give a proper sense of realism and for some strange reasons the acting is always better. There have been a fair fews bad apples, especially over the last year, but the genre still excites me. There are two films coming up based aroud aliens which look superb, 'Report 51' and another which I forget the name of. There's also a Bigfoot based film on the way and the one I am REALLY excited about called 'The Dinosaur Project'.

I say there is still life in the formula, so long as they keep coming up with new and interesting ideas
Bat
Site Admin

Post by Bat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:46 am

I'm on the fence. Some directors use it as a copout and the film is rubbish whilst others really utilise it and it works pretty well, such as the recent Chronicle. I think you have to keep things spiced up and not fall in to the pitholes of found footage.
I mean look at Troll Hunter, found footage at it's best!
Bat
Site Admin

Post by Bat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Can't believe this thread is 3 years old. Well, most of the found footage nowadays is shaky cam nonsense and there are only a few decent found footage flicks in the vast sea of rubbish ones.

I loved The Borderlands which is sorta found footage.
punkduck66
N00B

Post by punkduck66 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:39 pm

The Borderlands is definitely found footage and I love that film. Troll Hunter is awesome as well. I agree though too many found footage films are vomit cam unwatchable at the cinema and fare better on the smaller screen of your TV once they come out on DVD/Blu Ray.
Mocata
Film Fan

Post by Mocata » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Even when the film is good I end up thinking they should have just filmed it properly
Bat
Site Admin

Post by Bat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Some people use it just so they can be part of the genre and think it makes their film edgy. Most of the time it has no effect on the film except for making it look crap.
The only good found footage films that I can think of at the top of my head (feel free to add) are:

Blair Witch Project
Troll Hunter
The Borderlands
[Rec]
Mocata
Film Fan

Post by Mocata » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:17 am

Ah! I have REC on my soon to be watched list.
punkduck66
N00B

Post by punkduck66 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:18 pm

I like both the first two [REC] films. I saw them out of order (2 first then 1) and would say [REC] is a better film than [REC]2 but it is the more likely to make you vomit/have migraines becuase of the shakey cam shooting and image quality :-)