Alien: Covenant

Moderator: Hughesy

Bat
Site Admin

Alien: Covenant

Postby Bat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:57 pm

Okay, so you've probably seen the trailer for Ridley's Alien: Covenant. If not, here it is:

So what do you think? Is it a Prometheus sequel? Does it continue straight after that or is it something else entirely? No sight nor mention of Noomi Rapace in official press releases though her character of Shaw is listed on IMDB as being in the film so that would point to a Prometheus sequel but where could she be? Could she have died between movies and her appearance merely a flashback?

Fassbender returns as David, at least I think because back in the promo for Prometheus, they were pushing the idea of the synthetic Davids - yes, more than one. In fact, a whole range of models that look like Fassy and no doubt called David. So maybe this David in Covenant isn't Shaw's David in Prometheus.

Anyway, anyone else care to share their thoughts on where this film may be heading?
juanvasquez
HCF Staff

Re: Alien: Covenant

Postby juanvasquez » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:49 am

I think you and I were few who actually enjoyed Prometheus, but I believe this film is pandering to those who didn't, so could go either way. I'll probably go see it as Prometheus was stunning to look at on the big screen, so assuming it's filmed in the same style, it'll be worth watching for the visuals alone.
Mocata
Film Fan

Postby Mocata » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:49 pm

They're going out of their way to sell this as an Alien movie aren't they. The poster left no question, and no the trailer even has a trashy shower scene slasher movie death without any tact :mrgreen:
Bat
Site Admin

Postby Bat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:30 pm

It reminded me a bit of AVP2 that scene. It didn't have the same menace that Alien series has, just quick shock/slasher tactics. I get the feeling Covenant won't be much cop but we'll see
Mocata
Film Fan

Postby Mocata » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 pm

So yep still Alien related stuff
Bat
Site Admin

Postby Bat » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Certainly looks interesting but a bit concerned with the inclusion of two comedy actors Danny McBride and James Franco. If there was no McBride, I'd have been fine with Franco as I know he's decent at straight-acting but with the inclusion of them both makes me question where this could lead. Unless they just want to prove they're more than comedy when cast together....
juanvasquez
HCF Staff

Postby juanvasquez » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Despite him mainly being a comedy actor, I've no problem with McBride being in it. I know he was a tool in Eastbound and Down, but he was brilliant in that. Besides, unless it's a 5 hour epic, I doubt half that crew will get much screen time.
juanvasquez
HCF Staff

Postby juanvasquez » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:19 pm

My local are showing Prometheus and Alien back to back in a couple of weeks, as well as that including a preview of Covenant a couple of weeks later in the ticket price. Which as I have limitless, I'm actually saving money.

But anyways, I thought Prometheus was stunning on the big screen, and the chance to see the original is not to be sniffed at.
Bat
Site Admin

Postby Bat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Cool stuff! I must admit, Prometheus was great at cinema on first watch but all watches since I've liked it less and less...
Hoping Covenant is a return to form for Ridley.
Mocata
Film Fan

Postby Mocata » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:36 pm

While I didn't hate Prometheus it still needs a director's cut to put the missing character moments back in. Nothing is likely to beat the original but I will see how this goes.

Return to “New/Upcoming Releases”