Whatever happened to good DVD cover art?

Moderator: Hughesy

Bat
Site Admin

Whatever happened to good DVD cover art?

Post by Bat » Sun May 22, 2016 2:53 pm

Okay, I might need to rephrase this thread's title as I don't believe DVD has ever had decent poster art (Arrow Video ones are an exception to this rule)
Remember going into VHS rental shops and being convinced on a title on its cover art? Now all the independent horror movies have generic art on the front instead of something true to the film. How many times have we seen the woman on the front cover crawling and reaching out for help or the haunted house/cabin in the woods look?
There's some fantastic indie films out there but when they have generic cover art it doesn't make them stand out. It's like giving them names to cash in on other successful franchises. For instance Devil's Mile was retitled American Ghost Story.
Mocata
Film Fan

Re: Whatever happened to good DVD cover art?

Post by Mocata » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:47 pm

Yeah I bought a few more expensive discs back in the day just because of the artwork, regardless of whether I was interested in the extra features. The Fly / Fly 2 for dirt cheap or this fancy steelbook with just one? No contest. Nowadays you have the better looking ones on 3D Blu Ray and whatever, I guess metal cases are still a thing but I don't pick up limited versions any more. Mondo and Gallery '88 keep all that stuff for themselves from what I can tell.
Bat
Site Admin

Post by Bat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:26 pm

101 Films are bringing out some titles from the past with great DVD cover art. Whether it's the original art, I'm not sure, but it sure looks like the VHS style. Me gusta mucho!
Mocata
Film Fan

Post by Mocata » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:45 pm

I think there should be more reversible covers like Arrow include. I usually use the old school version instead of the newly commissioned art because they look more classic that way.
Dr Lenera
HCF Staff

Post by Dr Lenera » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:49 pm

88 Films seem to do reversible cover art, I picked up three of their Charles Band releases the other day and one of the first things I did was reverse the covers so I was looking at the video art.