Arrow Video have announced the UK Blu-ray and Blu-ray Steelbook release of Theatre of Blood, the seminal 1973 British horror classic starring Vincent Price, Diana Rigg, Ian Hendry, Harry Andrews, Arthur Lowe, Robert Coote and Coral Browne. This newly restored feature will make its worldwide Blu-ray debut on 19th May 2014.
Featuring a bumper crop of bonus features such as a newly recorded audio commentary with The League of Gentlemen (Jeremy Dyson, Mark Gatiss, Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith), interviews with the likes of Victoria Price, author and film historian David Del Valle, Theatre of Blood star Madeline Smith and composer Michael J. Lewis. The release also features a reversible sleeve featuring new artwork by Sam Smith and a collectors booklet with new writing on the film by critic Cleaver Patterson and a reproduction of the original press book material, illustrated with original archive stills.
It’s never been tougher to be a critic than in Theatre of Blood, one of the greatest horror comedies of all time. Vincent Price gives a career best performance as Edward Lionhart, a veteran Shakespearean actor who, when passed over for the coveted Critic’s Circle award for Best Actor takes deadly revenge on the critics who snubbed him.
With one of the greatest ensemble casts ever assembled for a horror film including Diana Rigg, Harry Andrews, Jack Hawkins and Arthur Lowe, Theatre of Blood is a dementedly funny and deliciously macabre cult classic.
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the feature, transferred from original film elements by MGM
• Original uncompressed mono PCM audio
• Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary with The League of Gentlemen, Jeremy Dyson, Mark Gatiss, Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith
• A Priceless Pot-boiler – Victoria Price discusses Theatre of Blood
• A Fearful Thespian – author and film historian David Del Valle discusses Vincent Price in Theatre of Blood
• Staged Reaction – Star Madeline Smith remembers Theatre of Blood
• A Harmony for Horror – Composer Michael J. Lewis remembers Theatre of Blood
• Original Trailer
• Reversible Sleeve featuring new writing on the film by critic Cleaver Patterson and a reproduction of the original press book material, illustrated with original archive stills