The Purge: Anarchy has been receiving much better reviews than the first film, and clearly the makers of the first film realised that fans wanted bigger and better things with the sequel, and delivered that. So where does the franchise stand now that a very successful sequel has been made?
In an interview with Collider, Platinum Dunes producers Brad Fuller and Andrew Form hinted at a new Purge film being released yearly:
“Well, it’s called the annual Purge for a reason, so it should stand to reason” said Fuller when asked what Platinum Dunes were going into production on next. A clear indication that we are likely to be seeing a new Purge film every year for the foreseeable future.
Form explained that Friday the 13th is the number one priority right now: “We’re not working on a third one yet (The Purge). But, we have Friday the 13th for next year. We’re developing the script”
Almost two years ago director Rob Cohen expressed an interest in remaking The Monster Squad, a film he executive-produced back in 1987. While a failure at the box office, the film went on to become a cult favourite, yet fans were slightly concerned of a new version being made.
Cohen said that the idea had been passed to Paramount and Platinum Dunes, but they took some convincing. It now seems that Paramount could not be convinced on a remake, as Form explained: “The Monster Squad, we’re not developing anymore”
Fuller gave further clarity, just in case Form wasn’t clear enough: “That’s dead”
David Bruckner confirmed to direct the Friday the 13th sequel?
Also while discussing the Friday the 13th sequel with Collider, Form all but confirmed that David Brucker (VHS, The Signal) would be directing, even though no official word has been released.
When talking about the sequel, Form talked of developing the story, and then dropped the news everyone has been expecting:
“We love Friday the 13th. We had the best time making that movie. An opportunity to bring Jason back again, for us, we jump at it. We just have to tell the right story. It’s truly about, what is this version? We’re working hard on that. We have a great director, David Bruckner (V/H/S, The Signal), and we’re trying to figure it out. We have to crack that”
Fuller then explained it is the tone of the movie they are working on: “We haven’t cracked the tone of that movie”
In a further interview this week with Movieweb, Fuller cleared up something he said earlier this year, which had Jason fans worried that their favourite killer may not be returning in the new film.
Originally when asked if Derek Mears would be returning to play Jason Vorhees, Fuller was misquoted, saying: “I don’t know because I don’t know if we’re going to have Jason. I don’t know which Jason we’re going to have. I can tell you this: I love Derek Mears; I love working with him, and he’s a dream so we’d be lucky to have him.”
Fuller, now six months later, has now responded to that quote and cleared a few things up. As we all already knew anyway, Fuller confirms that Jason WILL be in the Friday the13th sequel.
“It was a misquote. I had just said, ‘I don’t know who would play Jason Voorhees. Because I don’t know what age he would be, or how we would use him. Are we clear about that? That was the original context of the question. ‘Is Derek Mears going to be playing Jason?’ I said, ‘I don’t know who the character is going to be, or at what point in his life we are going to be engaging in him with.’ Somehow that became, ‘He’s not going to be in the movie.’ But of course he’s going to be in the movie!”
Glad we cleared that up!