Singers are no stranger to American Horror Story, and already we have seen Adam Levine, Stevie Nicks and Patti LuPone all have small roles in the series, and now Patti LaBelle is following in their footsteps.
Per TVLine, the Grammy winner will appear in four episodes of “American Horror Story: Freak Show,” playing the mother of Gabourey Sidibe’s character. According to an insider, LaBelle’s alter ego — who does not sing — is a local townsperson who begins to unravel the murderous secrets of Twisty the clown killer.
American Horror Story: Freakshow is due to air on FX in October this year, and Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Kathy Bates, Evan Peters, Angela Bassett, Francis Conroy, Emma Roberts, Denis O’Hare, Gabourey Sidibe, and Jamie Brewer all returning.
Chiklis will make his American Horror Story debut playing the Father of Evan Peters’ character, and ex-husband of Kathy Bates’ character.
Gabourey Sidibe and Jamie Brewer will also return to the series “in some capacity.”
Wes Bentley recently joined the cast, and he will appear in the Halloween special.
The Comic-Con panel revealed some new details for the returning show, and Collider have provided a list of the key points below. Here we have details on how the new show will look, some of the key characters, plus details on the new seasons main villain. The villain has not been named, but it was confirmed that John Carroll Lynch (below, Zodiac, Shutter Island) will play the villain, who Minear promised would be the shows most terrifying yet!
- The tone of Freak Show will be different than anything before it. “It’s the best season so far, not like the first three,” Minear noted, “When watching the dailies I can compare it to Zodiac that was done in sherbet. You’re gonna love it.”
- Paulson, who is playing conjoined twins Bette and Dot, already has a favorite. She likes Bette best, “It feels organic to me. I love her.” It’s important for her to keep a certain mystery around the show, so when it comes to describing her character she hinted that there are about 22 people working on each shot with her on set. Paulson describes her character as something that’s never been done before.The process is done off-screen and “in a way that’s never been done before in a sense that no person has played a person with two heads… people have done it with another actress, [but] this is a new thing,” Paulson said.
- As for Bassett and Chiklis’ characters, Desiree Dupree and Wendell del Tolito. They will be playing a married couple, with Bates playing Chiklis’ ex-wife, Ethel Darling, and Peters playing his son, Jimmy Darling.
- Minear teased that the villains of Freak Show will rival those of the previous seasons. He calls the next installment’s monster as “the scariest creation so far.” John Carroll Lynch will bring that character to life and according to Minear, “It’s going to scare the shit out of you.”
- Lange will be playing the character of Elsa Mars and Roberts will breathe life to Maggie. Roberts points out that she will not be playing a villain this time around.
- There will be a lot of familiar faces making an appearance on Freak Show, “We always have an open door policy,” says Minear of the actors. In addition, there will also be new people coming on board.