New ‘Friday the 13th’ to be set in the 80’s? Will be a completely new story





friday

There has been a lot of talk about the new Friday the 13th movie, with talk of found footage and 3D among them, but now producer Brad Fuller has revealed a tiny morsel of new information.

It doesn’t really tell us much beyond the fact it won’t be a sequel to the 2009 reboot, and it will also not be another reboot, but a new story, which is great news. Fuller made no mention of the rumoured found footage angle either.

Speaking with the Omelete, Fuller stated:

“We did a reboot in 2009, and now in 2014 we are focusing on a different story to Jason,” said Fuller. “There won’t be a continuation of the 2009 film nor a remake of the originals – just a different story.”

While there is no mention of the franchise heading back to the 80’s, many reports on this story are claiming that this is the approach the new film is going to use. In other words, the idea is to make an authentic looking new film for fans of the original film, and most of its sequels. Personally, yes horror has moved wit the times, but I no complaints of heading back to the glory days of the 80’s.

However, as there is no mention of this in the interview, the 80’s setting is all speculation for now. Apparently Fuller is going to be giving a much more informative update shortly.

The last we heard on the sequel was that David Bruckner will definitely be directing (although there has STILL been no official announcement), and that Jason would definitely be in the new film.

This was all reported back in August, here is what we shared:

When talking about the sequel, producer Andrew Form talked of developing the story, and then dropped the news everyone has been expecting:

We love Friday the 13th. We had the best time making that movie. An opportunity to bring Jason back again, for us, we jump at it. We just have to tell the right story. It’s truly about, what is this version? We’re working hard on that. We have a great director, David Bruckner (V/H/S, The Signal), and we’re trying to figure it out. We have to crack that”

Fuller then explained it is the tone of the movie they are working on: “We haven’t cracked the tone of that movie”

In a further interview with Movieweb, Fuller cleared up something he said earlier this year, which had Jason fans worried that their favourite killer may not be returning in the new film.

Originally when asked if Derek Mears would be returning to play Jason Vorhees, Fuller was misquoted, saying: “I don’t know because I don’t know if we’re going to have Jason. I don’t know which Jason we’re going to have. I can tell you this: I love Derek Mears; I love working with him, and he’s a dream so we’d be lucky to have him.”

Fuller, six months later, responded to that quote and cleared a few things up. As we all already knew anyway, Fuller confirms that Jason WILL be in the Friday the13th sequel.

It was a misquote. I had just said, ‘I don’t know who would play Jason Voorhees. Because I don’t know what age he would be, or how we would use him. Are we clear about that? That was the original context of the question. ‘Is Derek Mears going to be playing Jason?’ I said, ‘I don’t know who the character is going to be, or at what point in his life we are going to be engaging in him with.’ Somehow that became, ‘He’s not going to be in the movie.’ But of course he’s going to be in the movie!”

About Matt Wavish 9999 Articles
A keen enthusiast and collector of all horror and extreme films. I can be picky as i like quality in my horror. This doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a classic, but as long as it has something to impress me then i'm a fan. I watch films by the rule that if it doesn't bring out some kind of emotive response then it aint worth watching.

3 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*