Dan Aykroyd, an original Ghostbuster and executive producer on 2016’s all-female reboot of the 1986 classic, has shut down hopes of the film getting a sequel. It was thought to be the beginning of a whole new Ghostbusters universe when it came out, but its disappointing box office performance, and – dare I say – the fact that it was complete and utter crap, caused Sony to be undecided about what do next – until now – maybe. Aykroyd appeared on Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch and said:
“The girls are great in it. Kate McKinnon, Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig – what wonderful, wonderful players they are – and Leslie Jones. I was really happy with the movie, but it cost too much. And Sony does not like to lose money, they don’t It made a lot of money around the world but just cost too much, making it economically not feasible to do another one. So that’s too bad.”
He then went on to blame director Paul Feig:
“The director, he spent too much on it. He didn’t shoot scenes we suggested to him and several scenes that were going to be needed and he said ‘Nah, we don’t need them.’ Then we tested the movie and they needed them and he had to go back. About $30 to $40 million in reshoots. So he will not be back on the Sony lot any time soon.”
However, the director of the original movie Ivan Reitman claimed there would be many more Ghostbusters films at the end of last year, so, while the likelihood of a direct sequel to last year’s Ghostbusters is minimal, I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony have another go at reviving the franchise sometime soon.