There’s been quite a bit of Ghostbusters news of late, but to summarise the most recent stories:
It had been rumored for months but in a new chat with ‘Parade’, Sigourney Weaver confirmed that she’ll be back in Jason Reitman‘s Ghostbusters reprising her iconic role of Dana Barrett. She said that: “It’s going to be crazy working with the guys again”, which seems to confirm that Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd will be in it, alongside Finn Wolfhard, Mckenna Grace and Carrie Coon. The new Ghostbusters will be in cinemas on July 10, 2020.
Meanwhile at ‘Ghostbusters Fan Fest’ this weekend, Reitman presented some deleted footage from the original Ghostbusters.
“We found something kind of extraordinary. We went to Sony, and we said, ‘We’d really love to get back into the original dailies from 1984. Do you still have them?’ And we found them. They were in a mine in Kansas, and we shipped the boxes to Burbank. We’ve been going through the footage for reasons I cannot tell you, but along the way we found some really cool stuff.”
It seems that some of this footage will be in a forthcoming Blu-ray set of Ghostbusters 1 and 2, and it includes the long-requested Fort Detmerring scene of Ray Stantz having a sexual encounter with a ghost while dressed in period garb. But rumours seem to be going around that some of the newly found footage may find its way into the new movie.
And finally – he just never goes away does he? – Paul Feig said this to fans of his 2016 reboot:
“Thank you so much, thank you for keeping the torch alive for Answer the Call. We’re hoping there’s a second call. And if we do get it, it’s all cause of you. Love you.”
The 2016 version made $230 million at the box office worldwide, but the film’s budget was too massive for it to be a hit. I feel that it was Feig’s derisive attitude to the fans as well as him just turning out a crappy movie that contributed to its poor reception. I can’t see a sequel happening somehow – but worse things have happened in the movie world….