Favourite Action Star

Talk about the actors, actresses and directors that interest you in our forum

Moderator: Hughesy

Bat
Site Admin

Favourite Action Star

Post by Bat » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:46 am

Who's your favourite modern martial arts or action star?

I quite like my martial arts flicks so I enjoy watching Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins as well as Iko Uwais, Tony Jaa and Yayan Ruhian. Donnie Yen is pretty good too.

Watched Tracers the other day with Taylor Lautner in it. That kid has talent! I can defo see him as an action star. You should have seen all the parkour he was pulling out the bag. Former junior karate champ too so he has the skills and athleticism. I think he's a future action star.

Not too keen on Jason Statham movies. Rather watch Keanu Reeves kick ass. LOVE John Wick. Full of Ju-Jitsu which I train in, which is partly the reason, but I did thoroughly enjoy the film regardless.
Mocata
Film Fan

Re: Favourite Action Star

Post by Mocata » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Mid 80s Jackie Chan takes some beating, Police Story, Project A, Armour of God.
Will also throw in Jet Li (Fist of Legend) Moon Li (Iron Angels) and Michelle Yeoh (Magnificent Warriors).
Bat
Site Admin

Post by Bat » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:17 pm

To my shame I've not seen much Jackie Chan.

I do love me some JCVD even if recent films are bit poor. Kickboxer and Bloodsport are two of my all time fav martial arts films alongside Tom Yum Goong and Raid 2.
Mocata
Film Fan

Post by Mocata » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Bat wrote:To my shame I've not seen much Jackie Chan.

I do love me some JCVD even if recent films are bit poor. Kickboxer and Bloodsport are two of my all time fav martial arts films alongside Tom Yum Goong and Raid 2.
Ah you should see more, I'm still annoyed that Hong Kong Legends went bust and their out of print discs are overpriced. Gareth Evans talked about his favourite action scenes and spent most of that talking about Jackie XD http://www.slashfilm.com/watch-raid-dir ... on-scenes/

The Raid/Raid 2, Born to Fight, The Protector, Chocolate etc and the new breed of actioners are all pretty good when they work.

Cynthia Rothrock sticks in my mind but only when she was working outside the US. Standard shoot em up action stars though... I mean was just writing stuff about Chow Yun-Fat in A Better Tomorrow which still brings it back to foreign cinema. Still a big fan of Arnie when he was making he best sci-fi stuff, and I always have time for Clint even if they tend to fall into Western/Thriller categories.
Dr Lenera
HCF Staff

Post by Dr Lenera » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am

Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee [though he didn't make many films], nobody comes close to those two for me, though Tony Jaa is pretty amazing [though his last two films have ruined his amazing skills through excessive editing]. Like Mocata [great username btw] I really like many of the Hong Kong guys and gals, especially during the golden period of the 80's to mid 90s. Out of the women I'm particularly partial to the Japanese Yukira Oshima even though she didnt make many good films I don't think.

Outside of Hong Kong, I have an undying love for Clint Eastwood, and a great liking for Sly and Arnie though they really need to call it a day now, and Jason Statham I suppose I quite like. Then there's older guys like Errol Flynn and Douglas Fairbanks who I always enjoy watching too and did alot of their own stunts.
Bat
Site Admin

Post by Bat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:57 pm

Love Arnie! And I think Arnie's a brilliant comedy actor too with his kids films Last Action Hero, Kindgarten Cop, etc
Mocata
Film Fan

Post by Mocata » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Well it's more fun that it gets credit for but I usually watch it when I remember Charles Dance is the baddie.
Bat
Site Admin

Post by Bat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:19 pm

I have a soft spot for Bolo Yeung. He makes a great baddy in Bloodsport.
Danny Trejo has the great action exploitation style going on as Machete. I can watch him all day.
punkduck66
N00B

Post by punkduck66 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:44 pm

The Stath! (and not just because we share a haircut) :-)
Bat
Site Admin

Post by Bat » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:20 pm

I caught a bit of Stath in that film where he was screwing some chick so his heart rate went down. Basically like Speed. It was Crank i think. And I thought "what is this crap?" lol. Never really took a shine to his work.

I like watching Tom Cruise in his action films. That man has the biggest cojones ever. Jumping out of and sitting on top of the Burj Khalifa and being strapped outside that plane?! Jeez. I crap myself just thinking about it.