Grimmfest 2015

Check out the upcoming film festivals, memorabilia events and film screenings and discuss here

Moderator: Hughesy

Bat
Site Admin

Grimmfest 2015

Post by Bat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:34 pm

What a terrific Grimmfest 2015! Even though I have a soft spot for The Dancehouse (very Suspiria!), I did prefer the Odeon with its comfier seating, bigger screen, better sound and facilities. The festival hub was a great edition and I spent some time chatting to the the vendors and bitlord guys. The gaming hub was great fun too.

I enjoyed most of the movies with just the odd couple that didn't float my boat. I loved He Never Died and was great seeing Scream and Hellraiser on the big screen after all these years.

My top four would be: He Never Died, The Hallow, Synchronicity and Howl.
Julia87
N00B

Re: Grimmfest 2015

Post by Julia87 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:16 pm

I agree that the new venue improved the experience. Great screen, good leg room and more than 1 toilet!
Think they could expand the hub next time, more sellers needed!
I always look forward to the shorts. Cowboy Ben was a highlight!
My fave films were, Howl, DEATHGASM and We Are Still Here.
But the piece de resistance was Hellraiser. Had never seen it on a big screen and it did not disappoint!
Bat
Site Admin

Post by Bat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:25 pm

I loved Shaun Dooley in Misfits so great to see him in Cowboy Ben. The Johnny Vegas short had me in stitches too. I preferred Saturday's short films to those on Friday. They were more my cup of tea. A Stranger Kind was quirky and fun. Pretty entertaining. And [shut-in] was quite clever.
I enjoyed The Sun Had Died but the first person shot was making me motion sick.

Hellraiser was pretty awesome, wasn't it. Frank always creeps me the hell out. "Come to daddy!"
punkduck66
N00B

Post by punkduck66 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:49 pm

For me Hellions was the best film of the festival. It's a completely different type film but I was as blown away by it as I was by JugFace two years ago.

There really wasn't a bad film in there amongst the features and I enjoyed every one I saw (except maybe the last 20 minutes of Landmine Goes Click which had an unnecessary sexual violence). If I was giving marks out of 10 there would be a 10 for Hellions, an aweful lot of 9s and a couple of 8s (maybe a 7 for Landmine).

The shorts were a bit more of a mixed bag but again an lot of 8s and 9s. dark_net, Cowboy Ben and A Stranger Kind were the standouts for me and verging on 10s.

Previous Grimms there have always been a couple of films that were a bit meh but this year was truly full of winners from start to finish. They've set the bar very high for next year!
Bat
Site Admin

Post by Bat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:29 pm

I enjoyed Jugface but Hellions I didn't get at all. I didn't dig the surreal landscape it ended up in. I thought the trick r treater kids were good but then I didn't "get" the rest of it. I didn't get Excess Flesh either. It seemed quite empty and didn't make sense to me.

The rest of the films were decent. I enjoyed Saturday's shortfilms more than I did Thursday's. Great line-up throughout the fest though :)

Btw punkduck, did you end up filling your belly? I went that Manchester Plaice and the chips were awful and rubbery!
Few days after I went to a hotdog stall before the festival near Arndale and it was gorgeous! £1.50 for a jumbo hotdog. Bargain :P
punkduck66
N00B

Post by punkduck66 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:22 pm

Foodwise Saturday we were very efficient and made sandwiches topped up with a pasta snack from the Co-op but I have to confess that Firday (sorry Scream) and Sunday (sorry Hellraiser) we skipped out and blew our savings on treat lunch at Trof :-)
Bat
Site Admin

Post by Bat » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:46 pm

I've still yet to go to Trof. I don't even know where it is.