Arrow Video have announced the first UK Blu-ray and DVD release of the sordid and notorious underground shocker Nekromantik, arriving in time for Christmas on 15th December 2014. One of 2014’s most talked about Arrow Video releases, Nekromantik makes its Blu-ray debut in the UK as an exclusive 3-disc digipak featuring Blu-ray, DVD and CD Soundtrack. This exclusive set will be limited to a run of only 3000 copies only and comes with a set of 5 x exclusive ‘Polaroid’ postcard images and a 100-page book, alongside a behemoth of extra features and content.
This 3-disc set comes loaded with exclusive director-approved content including the main feature Nekromantik (1987) and director Jörg Buttgereit’s previous short films Hot Love (1985) and Horror Heaven (1984). Alongside a wealth of archival content, this stunning new edition will feature brand new extras especially produced for this release, chief among them, the documentary Morbid Fascination: The Nekromantik Legacy, a new look at the impact of the film on the horror scene both in the UK and abroad, featuring interviews with numerous genre authorities such as critic Alan Jones and Marc Morris, producer of Video Nasties.
Alongside this, the disc will feature a newly-recorded interview with Buttgereit, an introduction to the film and an audio commentary with both himself and his co-writer Franz Rodenkirchen.
Other features on the discs include an archive Nekromantik featurette, which includes interviews with Buttgereit and Producer Manfred Jelinski and was produced for the film’s 10-year anniversary German VHS release, as well as two short featurettes comprising footage filmed at the premiere of Nekromantik and Hot Love, respectively. A vintage behind-the-scenes documentary, The Making of Nekromantik, will also be included which comes with a host of on-set footage.
The disc will also feature the trailer for Horror Heaven which features outtakes from the film, alongside this are trailers for Nekromantik, Der Todesking, Nekromantik 2 and Schramm and two Buttgereit-directed music videos: I Can’t Let Go by Shock Therapy (1995) and Lemmy, I’m a Feminist by Half Girl (2013). To round this off, an extensive image gallery featuring behind-the-scenes stills and the rare, surrealist German-language Nekromantik comic by Berlin artist Fil, reproduced in its entirety will be included on the disc.
The 3rd disc in this deluxe set features the complete Nekromantik soundtrack composed and performed by star Daktari Lorenz and musicians John Boy Walton and Hermann Kopp, plus rare tracks from Hot Love.
Nekromantik is the one-of-a-kind shock classic from cult director Jörg Buttgereit, weaving the tale of Rob Schmadtke (Daktari Lorenz), a young man who finds himself competing for the affections of his girlfriend with a putrefying cadaver.
An employee of Joe’s Streetcleaning Agency, a company which cleans up after grisly accidents, Rob takes advantage of his profession to indulge in his chosen hobby – the collection of body parts. Then, one day, Rob brings home an entire decomposing corpse, much to the delight of girlfriend Betty. There follows a twisted love triangle, resulting in some of the most shocking scenes ever committed to celluloid.
Nearly 30 years after its original release, Arrow Video is proud to present this classic of underground horror cinema – finally classified for UK release in its fully unexpurgated form.
A 100-page book Romance is Dead is also included within the set, this exclusive book features a new article on Nekromantik from critic Graham Rae, alongside pieces from writers David Kerekes (Sex Murder Art: The Films of Jörg Buttgereit), Kier-La Janisse (House of Psychotic Women), Linnie Blake (The Wounds of Nations) and an archive interview with real-life necrophile Karen Greenlee, all illustrated with new artwork and original archive stills.
3-DISC DIRECTOR-APPROVED LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of three Buttgereit films: Nekromantik (1987), Hot Love (1985) [29 mins] and Horror Heaven (1984) [23 mins]
- Optional English subtitles for all three films
- Limited Edition packaging featuring new artwork by Gilles Vranckx
- Individually-numbered #/3,000 Certificate
- Set of 5 Exclusive Limited Edition Nekromantik “polaroid” postcards
- 27 track Nekromantik soundtrack CD
- Exclusive Limited Edition 100-page book.
DISC 1 [BLU-RAY] & DISC 2 [DVD] – NEKROMANTIK & JÖRG BUTTGEREIT SHORT FILMS
- Nekromantik audio commentary with Jörg Buttgereit and co writer Franz Rodenkirchen
- Hot Love audio commentary with Buttgereit
- Horror Heaven audio commentary with Buttgereit
- Director’s introduction to Nekromantik
- Alternative “Grindhouse Version” of Nekromantik, newly-transferred for this release from the only existing 35mm print [Blu-ray only]
- In Conversation with The Death King – A brand-new 2014 interview with Buttgereit conducted exclusively for this release
- Morbid Fascination: The Nekromantik Legacy – A brand-new 2014 documentary looking at the impact of the film on the horror scene both in the UK and abroad, featuring interviews with genre critic Alan Jones, Marc Morris, producer of Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide Parts 1 & 2, and Buttgereit biographer David Kerekes
- Q&A with Buttgereit recorded at Glasgow’s Centre for Contemporary Arts (2014)
- The Making of Nekromantik – A vintage documentary featuring a wealth of behind-the-scenes footage, newly-transferred in HD and viewable with two different audio tracks: an English commentary with Buttgereit, co-author Franz Rodenkirchen and David Kerekes, and a German-language audio track featuring radio interviews with Buttgereit, Rodenkirchen and producer Manfred Jelinski
- Nekromantik Featurette – A look back at the film’s production, featuring interviews with Buttgereit and Jelinski, produced for the film’s 10-year anniversary German VHS release
- Nekromantik Premiere – A short featurette comprised of footage from the film’s premiere in Berlin, January 1988
- “Das Letzte” – A short featurette comprising footage from the 1985 premiere of Hot Love
- Horror Heaven trailer featuring outtakes from the film
- Two Buttgereit-directed music videos: ‘I Can’t Let Go’ by Shock Therapy (1995) and ‘Lemmy, I’m a Feminist’ by Half Girl (2013)
- Complete collection of Buttgereit feature film trailers: Nekromantik, Der Todesking, Nekromantik 2 and Schramm
- Extensive image gallery including behind-the-scenes stills and the rare, surrealist German-language Nekromantik comic by Berlin artist Fil, reproduced in its entirety.
DISC 3 [CD] – NEKROMANTIK SOUNDTRACK: ULTIMATE EDITION – LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE
- 27-track CD featuring the complete Nekromantik soundtrack composed and performed by star Daktari Lorenz and musicians John Boy Walton and Hermann Kopp, plus rare tracks from Hot Love.
100-PAGE BOOK – ‘ROMANCE IS DEAD’ – LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE
- Exclusive perfect-bound book featuring a new article on Nekromantik from critic Graham Rae, alongside pieces from writers David Kerekes (Sex Murder Art: The Films of Jörg Buttgereit), Kier-La Janisse (House of Psychotic Women), Linnie Blake (The Wounds of Nations ) and an archive interview with real-life necrophile Karen Greenlee, all illustrated with new artwork and original archive stills.