Arrow Video has announced it’s bringing David Cronenberg’s VIDEODROME to limited edition 4K UHD Bluray on 24th October 2022. Alongside this edition, Arrow Video is also releasing a limited edition 4K UHD Bluray of VIDEODROME featuring the original artwork.
Combining the bio-horror elements of his earlier films whilst anticipating the technological themes of his later work, Videodrome exemplifies David Cronenberg’s extraordinary talent for making both visceral and cerebral cinema.
Max Renn (James Woods) is looking for fresh new content for his TV channel when he happens across some illegal S&M style broadcasts called “Videodrome”. Embroiling his girlfriend Nick (Deborah Harry) in his search for the source, his journey begins to blur the lines between reality and fantasy as he works his way through sadomasochistic games, shady organisations and body transformations stunningly realised by Oscar-winning makeup effects artist Rick Baker.
Hailed by his contemporaries John Carpenter (“he’s better than all of us combined!”) and Martin Scorsese (“no one makes films like he does”) as a genius, Videodrome was Cronenberg’s most mature work to date and still stands as one of his greatest.
4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand new 4K restorations from the original camera negative by Arrow Films of both the full-length director’s cut and the US theatrical cut, approved by director David Cronenberg
• 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
• Original lossless mono soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by Tim Lucas, the on-set correspondent for Cinefantastique Magazine and author of Videodrome: Studies in the Horror Film
• David Cronenberg and the Cinema of the Extreme, a documentary featuring interviews with Cronenberg, George A. Romero and Alex Cox on Cronenberg’s cinema, censorship and the horror genre
• Forging the New Flesh, a documentary by filmmaker Michael Lennick on Videodrome’s video and prosthetic make up effects
• Fear on Film, a round table discussion from 1982 with Cronenberg, John Carpenter, John Landis and Mick Garris
• The complete, uncensored Samurai Dreams footage with commentary by Michael Lennick
• Helmet-Cam Test and Why Betamax?, two featurettes by Michael Lennick on the film’s effects
• The Making of David Cronenberg’s Videodrome, a 1982 featurette by Mick Garris, with behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Cronenberg, James Woods, Deborah Harry and Rick Baker
• Videoblivion, an interview with cinematographer Mark Irwin
• Pierre David on… Videodrome, an interview with executive producer Pierre David
• AKA Jack Martin, an interview with Dennis Etchison, author of novelisations of Videodrome and The Fog, discussing Videodrome and his observations of Cronenberg’s script
• Camera, Cronenberg’s short film starring Videodrome’s Les Carlson
• Pirated Signals: The Lost Broadcast, deleted and alternate scenes from the TV version
• Original trailers
• Image gallery
• Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
• Illustrated 60-page collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by Justin Humphreys, Brad Stevens and Tim Lucas, extracts from Cronenberg on Cronenberg, and a brand new roundtable retrospective with critics Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, Cerise Howard, Josh Nelson and Emma Westwood
• Foldout double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
• Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproduction artcards