Eureka Entertainment is set to release REVENGE [ADAUCHI], the tragic Japanese Samurai classic from the screenwriter of Harakiri. Presented as part of The Masters of Cinema Series in its worldwide debut on Blu-ray, from a new 2K restoration. Available from 19th June 2023, the first print run of 2000 copies will feature a Limited-Edition O-card Slipcase.
A cruel jidaigeki masterwork from director Tadashi Imai (Cruel Tale of Bushido) and screenwriter Shinobu Hashimoto, the writer of Masaki Kobayashi’s great masterpiece Harakiri, Revenge is a lacerating attack on the absurdity and hypocrisy of feudal Japan.
An innocuous comment during a weapon inspection wounds the pride of low-ranking samurai Shinpachi (Kinnosuke Nakamura), leading to an argument with his superior. The situation snowballs out of control, leading to a deadly duel and political fallout which threatens the entire clan.
Available for the first time in the UK, the Masters of Cinema series is proud to present Tadashi Imai’s Revenge in its worldwide debut on Blu-ray from a new 2K restoration.
SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY FEATURES:*
- Limited Edition Slipcase (First print run of 2000 copies only) featuring artwork by Tony Stella
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a 2K restoration of the original film elements
- Uncompressed original Japanese mono audio
- Newly translated English subtitles (optional)
- Brand new interview with Tony Rayns
- Brand new video piece by Jasper Sharp
- PLUS: A collectors booklet featuring new writing on the film
*All extras subject to change