Arrow Video have announced the world premiere Blu-ray release of cult director Nico Mastorakis’ shocking video nasty, Island of Death. Upon its initial release some 40 years ago, this catalogue of atrocities featured scenes too shocking for the British public and was subsequently banned. However, this newly restored director-approved edition will debut fully-uncut on Blu-ray in all its sleazy and lurid glory (or should that say gory!) from 25th May 2015.
Boasting a brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative, this new director-approved disc will come loaded with a jam-packed 7 hours of bonus content, including two new featurettes Exploring Island of Death, in which film historian Stephen Thrower discusses the making of the cult classic, and Return to Island of Death in which Mastorakis returns to the original Mykonos locations.
Alongside this, the new release will feature an archive interview with Mastorakis, alternative opening titles and five original tracks from the Island of Death soundtrack. The Films of Nico Mastorakis, a four-part documentary charting the director’s filmmaking career [Blu-ray only] and the Nico Mastorakis Trailer Reel [Blu-ray only] round out the feature-filled package.
In addition, the Blu-ray comes with a reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys and a fully-illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by academic and film historian Johnny Walker.
Welcome to Mykonos, the holiday destination of choice for sun, sea and slaughter! From cult director Nico Mastorakis, Island of Death is a travelogue of atrocities with scenes so strong that the British Government was once compelled to ban it as a “video nasty”.
Arriving on the idyllic Greek island, Christopher and Celia appear to be every inch the perfect, handsome young couple. Little do the welcoming locals realise that they are in fact a pair of murderous degenerates, determined to spread their own particular brand of perversion across the island. DIY crucifixions, opportunistic bestiality, sexual peeing and murder by all conceivable forms ensue – including death by makeshift blowtorch, samurai sword, dump truck and more!
Shocking, brutal and totally politically incorrect in its outlook, Island of Death is a gruelling cinematic experience devised by director Mastorakis to out-do the excesses of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, which he was hugely inspired by. Now fully uncut and newly-restored from the original negative, fans can enjoy Island of Death in all its sleazy, lurid glory.
- Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative, approved by writer-director-producer Nico Mastorakis
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Exploring Island of Death – film historian Stephen Thrower on the making of a cult classic
- Return to Island of Death – Mastorakis returns to the original Mykonos locations
- Archive interview with Mastorakis
- Alternative opening titles
- Island Sounds – five original tracks from the Island of Death soundtrack
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- The Films of Nico Mastorakis – four-part documentary charting the director’s filmmaking career [Blu-ray only]
- Nico Mastorakis Trailer Reel [Blu-ray only]
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- Fully-illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by academic and film historian Johnny Walker