From master-of-horror Alexandre Aja (The Hills Have Eyes, Piranha 3D) comes HORNS, a supernatural, offbeat thriller starring beloved British actor Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter, Kill Your Darlings) and the talented Juno Temple (Magic Magic, Sin City 2: A Dame to Kill For).
Comic-Con 2014 in San Diego showcased a variety of films set for release this coming year and the next. HORNS was one of them. Here is what we learnt about HORNS at Comic-Con:
- This year was Daniel Radcliffe’s first appearance at the event.
- Daniel Radcliffe dressed up as Spiderman in disguise to be able to wander around the Comic-Con event incognito. “It’s great to be able to put on a mask and interact with people who don’t know who I really am—I spoke in an American accent the whole time. I felt like a spy about to be found out at any moment.” – Daniel Radcliffe.
- Fans flocked to ask their burning questions to Radcliffe about his career, including his latest role in Horns. Radcliffe said: “I like films that defy genre. He’s (Ig) somebody who’s going through a torrid time in his life and is trying to keep what is left of his humanity around him.”
- Horns is based on the 2010 dark fantasy thriller of the same name by Joe Hill (Stephen King’s son). In an interview at Comic-Con, Hill said that he thought the film was more fun than the book.
- Joe Hill admitted that at first, he didn’t envisage his novel as source material for a film, thinking it would be too dark and difficult to adapt for screen.
- ‘Personal Jesus’ by Depeche Mode was played out to the crowd during one extended Horns clip that was shown.
- Horns director Alexandra Aja shared insight into the protagonist Ig Perrish: “Physically he is turning into the devil but inside he is still himself but it’s the world around him that is turning into hell”.
Ig Perrish (Daniel Radcliffe) is accused for the violent rape and killing of his girlfriend, Merrin Williams (Juno Temple). After a hard night of drinking, Ig awakens, hungover, to find horns growing out of his head; they have the ability to drive people to confess sins and give in to selfish impulses. Ig decides to use this effective tool to discover the circumstances of his girlfriend’s death and to seek revenge by finding the true murderer.
Daniel and Juno lead an all-star cast with strong support from David Morse (The Green Mile, The Hurt Locker) and Heather Graham (The Hangover I&II, Boogie Nights).
HORNS is based on the dark fantasy novel of the same name from New York Times best-selling author Joe Hill.
Lionsgate UK Releases HORNS on Wednesday 29th October 2014
Join the conversation on Twitter with #HornsMovie